By Lori Hanson
The concept of resolutions is merely a way of saying, “Gee, I hope I can do this,” or “I’m going to try to do this.” Both of these statements are disempowering. By using the word “try” you’ve already programmed your subconscious mind to believe that you are going to fail. The issue is the void of true commitment and belief in yourself. There is no “I can do it” in try. In the wise words of Yoda, “Do or do not, there is no try.”
I Want To Do This in 2014!
When you really want to make something happen what do you do? You put every ounce of energy, focus, belief, determination and commitment you have into making it happen. Come hell or high water you are going to do this—and you make it happen! Right? That’s a completely different approach and energy than simply “resolving” to do something different.
If you want to make waves in the New Year and ride them to the level of success you’re determined to create whether it’s your job, health, weight loss, smoking, drinking, getting out of debt…whatever you want to accomplish you’ll do it when you have a firm commitment combined with an understanding of why it’s important to you.
If you set a goal you may or may not achieve it if it isn’t your top priority. How then do you determine what your top priority is?
Determine Your Priorities
Here’s a quick four step process to help you determine your priorities and set goals to achieve them.
1. Write a list of three to five things you want to accomplish in 2014.
2. Spend a few minutes contemplating each thing you’ve written down. Ask yourself why it is important to you. Then ask yourself why again at least five times so you get to the root of what is driving your desire. Assign a value to each item on a scale of 1-5, what ranks the most important (1 is low, 5 is high).
3. Write a new list of the things you want to accomplish in 2014 and list them sequentially with the desire that is most important to you first.
4. Write a specific goal statement that is measurable so you can track your progress and success.
Here’s an Example
Let’s say your top goal is to reduce your level debt in 2014.
Why is this important? How will it change your life?
Why? So you don’t have to live paycheck to paycheck
Why? Because it is stressful
Why? Because you have no money saved for incidentals like home maintenance, new tires or brakes or a to hold special party for your child’s sweet sixteen birthday adding even more stress, and debt.
Why? Because reducing and eliminating debt will create more freedom, flow and choices in your life.
Why? Because you’ll be able to start saving for that dream vacation (home, new car or college education)
Why? Because you can expand your vision and get your focus off ourself and on to how you can help others on this planet through volunteering or philanthropy.
Your Measurable Goal Statement
I will pay off $5,000 of debt by December 31, 2014 at 5:oo p.m.
Considerations for Reaching Your Goal
In order to reach this goal you’ll need to pay off $416.67 per month, or $96.15 per week.
What expenses can you cut back on or eliminate to reach this goal?
1. Make coffee at home
2. Take public transportation whenever possible to save on gas and car expenses
3. Eat meals at home
4. Take your lunch to work
5. Limit social outings with friends to once per month
6. Pick up a part-time job on the weekends or evenings
7. Evaluate purchases and only buy what you really need
The Special Sauce for Reaching Your Goal
Here are two elements that will help you make your goal seem, feel and be possible.
1 – Write your goal statement on an index card
2 – Read your goal at night before you go to bed and first thing when you wake up (this keeps your priority firmly planted in your mind)
3 – Express your gratitude for reaching your goal every day (be thankful for paying off $5,000 in debt even before you’ve done it).
4 – Create an affirmation to support your goal and experience what it feels like to have already achieved it:
I am so happy and joyful to be debt free
I am so thrilled to have credit card “x” paid and $500 in savings
I am so happy now that my finances provide me with choices in life
Using these techniques find the magic ingredient to help you ride the waves of success and reach your goals in 2014.
I Will Do This is 2014!